According to the World Health Organisation (W.H.O) website, “COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.”
The W.H.O further states “The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.”
Be sure to contact your nearest designated health center to report any of these symptoms.
PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID-19, AVOID CONTACT WITH THE VIRUS
- Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and warm running water for 20- 30 seconds.
- Use sanitizing alcohol gel often and avoid hugs and handshakes.
- Cough/ sneeze into a tissue and dispose of immediately and properly into a closed bin.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth as much as possible.
- Practice healthy social distancing, and avoid close contact with anyone with cough, flu or fever.
- Practice good personal hygiene, exercise regularly, have good rests, and maintain a good diet.
- Avoid spreading rumors and misinformation that you do not have facts of in order to minimize fear and panic.
- People who have been recommended to be placed under quarantine should observe such without fail to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Update yourself with latest news on the virus.
- Be kind and support each other.
Source: World Health Organisation (W.H.O)
Brought to you by: This message is a Public Awareness Campaign brought to you by the Diaspora Digital Foundation (DDF). Together, we will #STOPCOVID19.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/0h1uwudnpyw